"What Lies Behind Us And What Lies Before Us Are Small Matters Compared To What Lies Within Us" -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thursday, March 21, 2013

A Sad Day

Yesterday was going pretty well, until we were in the middle of dinner and I heard a car door shut just outside our house. Curious, I peeked out the blinds of our kitchen window only to see a man who had just stepped out of his car, carrying our cat in his arms and laying her on the grass in our yard.

I immediately jumped out of my seat and flew to the door, frantically telling Ian, "I think that's our cat!" I'm not sure what he was thinking, because he hadn't even been near the window. Regardless, he quickly followed me outside. The man asked if this was our cat. As soon as we got to where the man was I knew without a doubt it was our cat. Ian confirmed with him, "Yes she's ours." It was so sad, she had been hit by the car ahead of him while crossing the road to come home. The woman who had hit her was there too, she apologized and told us what happened. I tried my best to not sound too upset. We told them "these things happen, it's okay."  Really I wanted to just cry and honestly was a little angry, even though I know it wasn't her fault. Our cat chose to cross the road in front of her.

What happened after that is kind of blur, I don't remember seeing the man get back in his car. I didn't even notice when the cars drove away. Ian and I just sat with her stroking her fur. Then, Ian carried her in the backyard and we chose a special place to bury her. I wrapped her in one of Boston's old blankets and laid a cat toy with her.

Of course I miss her already. I get upset when I don't see her laying in her favorite chair, or hear her little coos down the hall. What I am especially upset about though, is that Boston lost his favorite friend. She made his day, every day. When she came by he would get all excited and make little "coos" back to her. If he were upset for any reason, she would hear him crying and immediately come to his "rescue." As soon as he would see her he would stop crying and start smiling or laughing. She was, in my opinion, THE PERFECT CAT. She was trained to potty outside, she rarely scratched the furniture, never bit or scratched us, she would come when we called, she was a good hunter, and the most loveable animal I've met. She would cuddle with us on the bed, but then would sleep in her own spot not to disturb us. I love that cat and she will sorely be missed.

Her as a baby kitten


Boston sleeping with the cat


No comments:

My Followers