"What Lies Behind Us And What Lies Before Us Are Small Matters Compared To What Lies Within Us" -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Tuesday, February 25, 2014

This Pregnancy

I am now in my 9th month of Pregnancy with the second one. This pregnancy has been a little bit harder on me it seems. It's amazing how different the two pregnancies can be, and I hear each child can be that way.  Everything has been going pretty smoothly overall though. There have been no complications or concerns up until just before my 35th week. This baby has seemed to move around ALL THE TIME. Then I realized one day I had gone almost the whole day and not noticed him move. So I decided to do my counts (you know the whole drill where you eat something lay on your side, etc) nothing. I was a little concerned, but decided not to panic because I remember Boston giving me a similar scare before. So I went on with my day and decided I would check again later. By bedtime I still hadn't noticed him, but I was exhausted and Boston had been sick so I just went to sleep. After waking up at around 3 AM to care for my sick 2 year old I decided I should do a kick count (especially since he is usually VERY active in the middle of the night).  I went downstairs and ate a bowl of cereal (that always seems to get him going!) I waited 30 min then counted. NOTHING. I started to really get concerned now. How long had it been since I felt him move? Was I over-reacting? What could be wrong? My mind was racing I was in complete panic now. I thought he really might be in danger, or worse already gone and I'd end up having a still birth. I decided I would take a warm bath to calm myself and also see if that triggered any movement, because he often moves around quite a bit when I bathe. So in the tub I soaked and waited. Finally, I felt a little flutter of a movement. Nothing strong, nothing like his usual kicks, but at least it was SOMETHING. I cried out of happiness. I prayed and prayed, thanking for the confirmation my baby was still there and praying everything would turn out okay, then went to bed. The next day I took Boston in to his Dr. to get checked out since he had been having trouble sleeping. Sure enough, he had an ear infection. After the appointment I drove to Orem for Boston and I to eat lunch with Ian. On my way home, that's when I realized I hadn't felt the baby kick since those little movements in the tub last night. I decided to pay attention to for kicks the whole way home. NOTHING. I wanted to call my doctor, but they were closed for lunch for another 30 min. So I waited, and tried to count again hoping that maybe by now my lunch would have settled and would trigger some movement from the babe. By the time my Dr's office opened again I still had not felt anything. When I told the nurse my concern she quickly said, "You need to go to the hospital right now and get checked out." I thought, "What?" "The hospital? Really?" "Oh my goodness what does this mean?!" I got off the phone and started sobbing. I still had Boston with me, I can't take him to the hospital with me, and who do I tell? I don't even know what's going to happen once I get there! I tried calling family, anyone that could help me with Boston. Finally, I got a hold of my grandparents. They were in a class but left right away to meet me at the hospital. I called Ian and he left from Orem. After checking into the hospital they brought me into a triage room and hooked a monitor up to listen for the heartbeat. It was there, thank goodness. After being on the monitor for a long while they  performed an ultrasound to make sure the ambilical cord was not wrapped around the baby and that there was enough fluid. Everything checked out. They said there was no reason for concern, but suggested I get into my OB sooner than my regular appointment, just in case something changes. So after about 2 hours at the hospital we went home. I was relieved nothing was wrong, but felt a little silly I had made a big deal about it for everyone.
   At my 35th week appointment I was dilated to a 2 and 70% effaced with baby's head down. Everything looked good other than I was still measuring a little small. (I have been the whole pregnancy, and did with Boston too up until the last few weeks)
   At my 36th week appointment I found out the baby had flipped. He is now breech with his feet down. My doctor did a small in house ultrasound just to confirm. He was also concerned because I haven't shown progress in my growth for 2 weeks :/ So I go in today for a formal ultrasound to check the size of the baby and make sure we have a big healthy baby to deliver when the time comes....So I've decided this baby just keeps trying to make sure I'm on my toes. He's really sending me in emotional circles. I just hope he decides to flip back around before it's time to deliver, because I really don't want to have a C section if I don't have to :( So please pray for this little man to flip! I'm also hoping everything goes well in the ultrasound and that he is still growing!

No comments:

My Followers